[Air-L] digital ethnography and social media network analysis training

Natalya Godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 04:11:39 PDT 2013

List is coming along nicely already. I found this one very useful as the
first 'example of an online ethnography' I came across.  Can you send me
the list, I'd like to keep it for my own further reading.
Natalya

Markham, A.N. 1998, *Life Online:  Researching Real Experience in Virtual
Space*, AltaMira Press, Walnut Creek, Calif.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Cristina Miguel
<kristinakreativa at yahoo.es>wrote:

> Hi Ella,
>
> About Digital Ethnography:
>
> Anything from Christine Hine, who created the term 'virtual ethnography'.
> One of her last publications is this book chapter:
>
> Hine, C 2008, “Virtual Ethnography: Modes, Varieties, Affordances” in
> Fielding, N, Lee, R M and Blank, G (ed) The Sage Handbook of Online
> Research Methods, Sage, London.
>
> Horst, H., Miller, D (2012) Digital Anthropology, Ber, London.
>
> Horst, Heather, Larissa Hjorth, and Jo Tacchi. "Rethinking ethnography: An
> introduction." Media International Australia, Incorporating Culture &
> Policy 145 (2012): 86.
> Kozinets, R 2010, Netnography: doing ethnographic research online, Sage,
> London.
>
> Marham, A and Baym, N (2011) Internet Enquiry: Conversations about Method,
> Sage, London. About methodology in Internet research.
>
> Underberg, N. M., & Zorn, E. (2013). Digital Ethnography. U of Texas Press.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Cristina Miguel
> PhD Candidate
> Institute of Communication Studies
> University of Leeds
> Clothworkers Building North
> Leeds LS2 9JT
>
> E  cscm at leeds.ac.uk
> W http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/people/cristina-miguel-martos/
>
> On 15 Aug 2013, at 10:38, <E.McPherson at lse.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am writing to see if you have recommendations for courses/training in
> digital ethnography and in social media network analysis - either MOOCs or
> ideally located in the UK (though I am willing to travel if necessary!).
>  Additionally, any books/resource recommendations would also be greatly
> appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks for any advice.
> >
> > Ella McPherson
> > LSE Fellow in Media and Communications
> > London School of Economics and Political Science
> >
> > Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
> communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.