[Air-L] Monitoring tags on Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest etc

Alex Leavitt alexleavitt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 10:58:20 PDT 2013

There is currently no way to track ALL tags on Tumblr unless you want to
shell out money for full access to GNIP (and even then you have to specify
terms and get the data moving from the current data forward; you have to
pay extra for historical data). Via the API, you can get posts per tag, and
if you have some programming experience, you could set up a cron job to
continually run through the API to collect data over a long period of time.

I'm not familiar with Pinterest or Instagram's APIs (I assume they operate
similarly), but you might check out
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~sbakhshi/gilbert.chi13.pinterest.pdf to see how
they collected data.

As far as cross-network, there is no service (to my knowledge) that allows
you to do this.

Alexander Leavitt
PhD Student
USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
http://alexleavitt.com
Twitter: @alexleavitt