[Air-L] Chinese (or other non-Western) objections to Internet Freedom...

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 22:32:56 PDT 2013

In hopes this does not confuse matter, but you also noted that you want

> students to critically analyse state policies and the underlying arguments
> that shape them.

>From my perspective, insofar as "Internet freedom" (positive freedom?
negative freedom? - both, I assume?) rests on specific assumptions / beliefs
/ hopes about the nature / characteristics of selfhood and identity (i.e.,
much of high modern Western notions of freedom rest on squarely individual
and strongly rational notions of selfhood) -
It is worth noting as well, I think, that there are strong trends towards
what might be called individualization in these otherwise strongly
collective societies and the relational selves they implicate.  See:

Yunxiang Yan. The Chinese path to individualization. The British Journal of
Sociology 61 (3: 2010): 489-512.
Mette Halskov Hansen and Rune Svarverud (eds.), The Rise of the Individual
in Modern Chinese Society, Copenhagen: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies,
2010.

As well, though I only have a conference presentation to document it -
others here may well have better resources - what I find especially
staggering is the introduction of _individual_ privacy rights in the
constitution of the P.R.C. in the past few years:

Suli Sui. The law and regulation on privacy in China. Paper presented at the
Rising Pan European and International Awareness of Biometrics and Security
Ethics (RISE) conference, October 20-21, 2011. Beijing, China.

Cf. Graham Greenleaf, Asia-Pacific data privacy: 2011, year of revolution?
UNSW Law Research Paper No. 2011-29, 2011.

There is even discussion among legal scholars in the P.R.C., I am told, of
introducing due process rights - i.e., the rights that have been largely
lost in the U.S. (and elsewhere) following 9/11, as the recent NSA
revelations underline.

Interesting world we live in.  In all events, best of luck with your course!

- charles ess

Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317