[Air-L] "Pathways to Meaning" with Kendall and Markham

Sanaz Raji sanaz.raji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 08:19:00 PDT 2013

Hi Caroline:

I am glad that you've raised these point concerning the situation of
freedom of speech and shady dealings at Arhaus University. I'm often
reminded of something that Priyamvada Gopal wrote on Facebook a while back:

"Academics are interesting in that they don't mind collusion with
institutional powers, or writing long essays about Gramsci, ideology and
consent, but are deeply offended if the problem of their own collusion and
consent--and participation in institutional corruption and relations of
domination and subservience-- is raised. Why is this? Are they except from
the processes that they are happy to identify at work in the rest of
society?"

Of course, a good majority of leading universities are complicit in
financing or allowing for questionable research.  These projects put the
most vulnerable of society, people of color, working class folks, and those
in developing countries in dire risk, as they are used, often times without
their knowledge, as research subjects for questionable health/social
projects. How many academics have been handsomely rewarded by their
institutions for projects that have hindered the lives of and/or
contributed to the deaths the of the vulnerable?

Instead of just researching the inequalities that exist in society, we in
academia need to be aware and to fight the corruption inside our own
institutions. Academia cannot exist without the freedom to ask challenging
and difficult questions and to express these views without the threat of
dismissal or other such cowardly acts.

Best wishes:
Sanaz

Sanaz Raji