[Air-L] Elsevier is taking down papers from Academia.edu

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 6 13:57:13 PST 2013

FYI.....via Slashdot....

Elsevier is taking down papers from Academia.edu

December 6, 2013

Lots of researchers post PDFs of their own papers on their own web-sites. It’s always been so, because even though technically it’s in breach of the copyright transfer agreements that we blithely sign, everyone knows it’s right and proper. Preventing people from making their own work available would be insane, and the publisher that did it would be committing a PR gaffe of huge proportions.

Enter Elsevier, stage left. Bioinformatician Guy Leonard is just one of several people to have mentioned on Twitter this morning that Academia.edu took down their papers in response to a notice from Elsevier. Here’s a screengrab of the notification:

< - >

http://svpow.com/2013/12/06/elsevier-is-taking-down-papers-from-academia-edu/

---