[Air-L] CfP: Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction (SSSI) annual meeting

Patrick Williams subcultures at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 00:23:26 PST 2013

Dear AoIRs,

I believe there are quite of number of people on this list who may be
interested in some of the proposed sessions at next year's SSSI conference.
The SSSI is a very welcoming organization and is a great place for scholars
to present their work on interaction. Anyone interested in learning more
about the SSSI can feel free to contact me off-list (email at the bottom of
the CfP).

patrick.

* * *

*Call for papers: Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction (SSSI)
annual meeting*

*August 15-17, 2014*

*San Francisco, CA*

Now in its 40th year of activity, the Society for the Study of Symbolic
Interaction (SSSI) will hold its annual meeting on Friday, Aug. 15th –
Sunday, Aug 17th, 2014 in San Francisco at the Hotel Nikko, right across
the street from the hotels hosting the American Sociological Association’s
concurrent annual meeting.

The Society’s membership is wide-ranging, crossing disciplinary and
geographic borders as we collectively study a variety of phenomena that
constitute social reality and social relations. The Society’s diversity
ensures that interactionism remains a vibrant perspective that is
exceedingly relevant to everyday life. As we recognize 40 years of SSSI
activity, we look toward a future in which the SSSI will continue to serve
as a community and forum for a diverse set of scholarly endeavors. With the
goal of continual growth and diversification in mind, this year’s
theme is *culture,
change, and identity*. We invite papers from across the human and social
sciences that deal with core and/or emerging issues for interactionist
scholarship.

Papers are invited that deal with any aspect of symbolic interactionism,
though we particularly encourage papers that correspond to any of the
following topics.

-       -The Astructural Bias: Myth or Reality

-       -Children and Adolescents in Everyday Life

-       -Constructing Racial/Ethnic Identities

-       -Culture and Cognition

-       -Culture and Performance

-       -Culture and Technology

-       -Culture, Emotions, and Gender

-       -Deviance and Disruption

-       -Digital Interaction

-       -Ethnography and Community Studies

-       -Human-Nonhuman interaction

-       -Interactionism and Intersectionality

-       -Interactionist Studies in Education

-       -Meaning in healthcare services and health policies

-       -Narrative Analysis

-       -Narratives of Disability and the Body

-       -Place, Identity, Emotion

-       -Radical Interactionism

-       -Risk, Crisis, and Resilience

-       -Sexualities

-       -Teaching Symbolic Interactionism

-       -Technologies of and in the Body

-       -Undergraduate Studies in Symbolic Interaction

-       -Visual Interactionist Sociology

*Submission guidelines*: Submit a paper title, author information, and an
abstract of 200-300 words in a word document via email. Indicate in the
subject field of the email which topical area (from the list above) your
paper is to be considered for. If you paper does not fit into one of the
above topics, list it as “open topic.”

*Paper submission deadline*: February 1st, 2014

*Anticipated notification*: March 15th, 2014

*Submission email*: symbolic.interaction.2014 at gmail.com

*SSSI website*: http://www.symbolicinteraction.org

*Additional information: *Participants must be members of the SSSI. For
SSSI members, registration for the conference has traditionally been free
and we hope to keep this tradition alive. For information on SSSI’s
affordable membership rates, go
here<http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/membership.asp?ref=1533-8665&site=1>.
For additional queries, email Patrick Williams, SSSI Vice-President,
patrick.williams at ntu.edu.sg