[Air-L] Book Announcement: The Mobile Story

Jason Farman jasonfarman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 08:19:11 PST 2013

Hello AoIR:
I'm writing to let you know about the recent release of my book that might
be of interest to several of you. *The Mobile Story: Narrative Practices
with Locative Technologies <http://amzn.com/B00F0N76GI> *was officially
released last month in both e-book and hardcover formats. This edited
collection brings together 33 researchers, designers, and artists who each
write about the intersection of mobile technology and storytelling
projects. I'm pasting the description and Table of Contents below. Here is
a link to the announcement of the book's release if you'd like to pass it
along:

http://themobilestory.com/announcing-the-mobile-story/

The book covers a range of topics such as historical practices of
site-specific storytelling, design considerations for locative media,
mapping projects, games (both locative and non-locative), media-specific
analyses, and storytelling projects for museums, memorializations, and
communities. My aim was to make the book readable for a broad audience
(especially undergraduates who are interested in these topics). Along these
lines, I have set up a website that offers some hands-on explorations of
the chapters that can be implemented in the classroom:
http://themobilestory.com.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the book!
Best,
Jason
--
Jason Farman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of American Studies

*Here’s the short blurb about the book:* What happens when stories meet
mobile media? In this cutting-edge collection, contributors explore digital
storytelling in ways that look beyond the desktop to consider how stories
can be told through mobile, locative, and pervasive technologies. This book
offers dynamic insights about the new nature of narrative in the age of
mobile media, studying digital stories that are site-specific,
context-aware, and involve the reader in fascinating ways. Addressing
important topics for scholars, students, and designers alike, this
collection investigates the crucial questions for this emerging area of
storytelling and electronic literature. Topics covered include the
histories of site-specific narratives, issues in design and practice, space
and mapping, mobile games, narrative interfaces, and the interplay between
memory, history, and community.

*THE MOBILE STORY: NARRATIVE PRACTICES WITH LOCATIVE TECHNOLOGIES*

*PART I: **Narrative and Site-Specific Authorship*

1. Site-Specificity, Pervasive Computing, and the Reading Interface

*Jason Farman*

2. The Interrelationships of Mobile Storytelling: Merging the Physical and
the Digital at a National Historic Site

*Brett Oppegaard and Dene Grigar*

3. Re-Narrating the City Through the Presentation of Location

*Adriana de Souza e Silva and Jordan Frith*

*PART II: **Design and Practice*

4. The Affordances and Constraints of Mobile Locative Narratives

*Jeff Ritchie*

5. Location Is Not Compelling (Until It Is Haunted)

*Mark Sample*

6. Dancing with Twitter: Mobile Narratives Become Physical Scores

*Susan Kozel, with Mia Keinanen and Leena Rouhiainen*

7. Walking-Talking: Soundscapes, *Flâneurs *, and the Creation of Mobile
Media Narratives

*John F. Barber*

*PART III: **Space and Mapping*

8. Locative Media in the City: Drawing Maps and Telling Stories

*Didem Ozkul and David Gauntlett*

9. Paths of Movement: Negotiating Spatial Narratives through GPS Tracking

*Lone Koefoed Hansen*

10. On Common Ground: Here as There

*Paula Levine*

*PART IV: **Mobile Games*

11. The Geocacher as Placemaker: Remapping Reality through Location-Based
Mobile Gameplay

*Ben S. Bunting, Jr.*

12. Proximity and Alienation: Narratives of City, Self, and Other in the
Locative Games of Blast Theory

*Rowan Wilken*

13. Playing Stories on the Worldboard: How Game-Based Storytelling Changes
in the World of Mobile Connectivity

*Bryan Alexander*

14. “I Heard It Faintly Whispering”: Mobile Technology and Nonlocative
Transmedia Practices

*Marc Ruppel*

*PART V: **Narrative Interfaces*

15. Narrative Fiction and Mobile Media after the Text-Message Novel

*Gerard Goggin and Caroline Hamilton*

16. Stories of the Mobile: Women, Micro-Narratives, and Mobile Novels in
Japan

*Larissa Hjorth*

17. Telling Their Stories through iPad Art: Narratives of Adults with
Intellectual Disabilities

*Jennifer Chatsick, Rhonda McEwen, and Anne Zbitnew*

*PART VI: **Memory, History, and Community*

18. Mobile Media after 9/11: The September 11 Memorial & Museum App

*Alberto S. Galindo*

19. Enhancing Museum Narratives: Tales of Things and UCL’s Grant Museum

*Claire Ross, Mark Carnall, Andrew Hudson-Smith, **Claire Warwick, Melissa
Terras, and Steven Gray*

20. Mobilizing Cities: Alternative Community Storytelling

*Mark C. Marino*