[Air-L] Fwd: {New Book: The Proteus Paradox}

Cherie Todd cjto at waikato.ac.nz
Sun Dec 8 18:10:06 PST 2013

For those of you examining games and life online, you may be interested in
this recent publication by Nick Yee.

Dear friends and fellow gamers,

I am so excited to let you know that my new book on the psychology of
online games, “The Proteus Paradox”, is now in print and available on
Amazon and other book retailers:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Proteus-Paradox-Online-Virtual/dp/0300190999

The book challenges the myths around who plays online games and what really
happens in these virtual worlds. We often think of online games as being
about fantasy, freedom, and fun, but many gamers describe their gaming as a
second job, superstitions flourish, and a player’s suspected offline
ethnicity can be a matter of virtual life and death. Drawing from player
narratives, psychology lab experiments, and analysis of game server data,
this is a book about gnomes falling in love, how the community changes when
the NPC city guards give out directions freely, and ultimately, what it
means to be human in a digital world.

Nick