[Air-L] Open access and academia.edu

Jonathan Sterne, Dr. jonathan.sterne at mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 9 12:07:36 PST 2013

Just to be clear for Matthieu, my point wasn't about services  and whether people like academia.edu or not.  Many of my colleagues love it.  My concern is profit models and ethical and social obligations, especially differences between theirs and mine.  The walled garden is reason enough for me not to opt in.  I have managed to continue discovering good new work without it.

On the services front, just a big +1 to the points from Daren and Rex.

Also: if you want open access journals to have higher impact factors, don't just submit to them, read the and cite them.

And one more thing: those of us who write tenure reviews also need to take time in our letters to argue for the significance of new publishing models when junior scholars take advantage of them.

Jonathan

PS -- Still, I also believe there is a place for university and independent presses: they do a lot of useful work for authors and for readers.  Even the most committed digital humanists are still writing books, as are many social scientists who want to reach wider audiences.  And funding for good open access journals remains an issue.
--
http://sterneworks.org
(apologies for iPad typos.)