[Air-L] Academics and blogging

Mary-Helen Ward mary-helen.ward at sydney.edu.au
Thu Dec 12 15:38:14 PST 2013

I know that some members of this list have a strong history of writing about academic blogging going back a decade (you're all cited in my thesis!), but, like most good ideas, it has taken a while for the world to catch up. It seems that writing about academics and blogging is now A Thing.

Given the discussion this week about non-traditional academic writing and open source publishing, this might be of interest: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2013/12/12/academic-attention-economy/

Apart from the authors' work on academic blogging, there are some interesting ideas here about open-access publishing and how people find articles of interest to them.

I have mentioned my thesis on twitter a few times, and every time there has been a spike in views and downloads. In three months the abstract has been viewed over 500 times, and the full document downloaded just over 100 times.

Mary-Helen
--
DR MARY-HELEN WARD | Education Design Manager: Sciences Technology and Business
Sydney eLearning | Office of the DVC Education