[Air-L] Elsevier and academia.edu

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 8 18:24:16 PST 2013

Hi

Briefly: not sure about comparing the enormous fees charged by Elsevier etc to a free service like Academia. Now, granted that Academia.edu may be profiting off users, but - apart from its social networking functions - it does provide services since it tells you (amongst other things) (1) when people search for your work, what search terms they use, where they come from; (2) how many times subscribers have downloaded specific items; (3) when people upload content that you are interested in. If it did not do those things people would not use it.

cheers
Mathieu