[Air-L] Elsevier and academia.edu

Matt Crain mattcrain1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 10:33:13 PST 2013

This is a great discussion. I’d like to echo Daren’s comments and add
Surveillance
Studies<http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php/surveillance-and-society/about/editorialPolicies#focusAndScope>to
the list of high quality open access journals.

Tenured faculty support of open access seems to be critical moving forward.
I might argue that “support” is not enough and that tenured faculty should
begin to think seriously about alternative models to Big Publishing and
consider completely withdrawing their labor, expertise, and credibility
from a system that clearly undermines non-profit academic institutions
through exploitative labor practices. Yes, exploitative. With the ongoing
rise of contingent faculty, it the model whereby academic publishing labor
is “built in” to faculty salaries is disappearing. I’m not tenured, but I
suspect that this has been ongoing for some time. With all due respect, if
there are any arguments for why tenured faculty should continue to edit,
review, and publish in the commercial conglomerate press system, I would
like to hear them.

Matt

--
Matthew Crain, Ph.D.