[Air-L] Papers on attitudes towards SNS non-users?

xpage at ics.uci.edu xpage at ics.uci.edu
Tue Dec 31 20:27:58 PST 2013

Hi David,

Perhaps this is relevant. We studied non users of location-sharing social
networks, and a lot of the data pointed to similar factors playing a role
in non use for other social media. We discovered a communication style
trait that explained over fifty percent of the variance of adoption as
well as low usage in our studies, including a nationwide geographically
balanced survey (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2493432.2493487 or
http://bit.ly/FYILSSN). Other differences between users and non users
included privacy management tactics and perceptions (some of this is
published in these papers http://bit.ly/BoundPreserve,
http://bit.ly/tangledWeb). In our qualitative research we did not see as
much "stigmatization" as different expectations regarding social norms and
etiquette. Happy to discuss more.

-Xinru

Ph.D. Information & Computer Science, Dept. Informatics
University of California, Irvine

> On Dec 23, 2013, at 6:00 PM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:49:02 +0000
> From: David Brake <davidbrake at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Air-L] Papers on attitudes towards SNS non-users?
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'm writing about some of the factors that keep people posting to social
networks for my upcoming book "Sharing Our Lives Online- Risks and
Exposure in Social Media". One of the ones I'm considering is the
potential stigmatisation of those who ?stick out" in their peer groups
for either not participating at all on social networks or keeping a very
low profile. I've seen a few studies about why people choose not to join
eg:

> Eric P.S. Baumer, Phil Adams, Vera D. Khovanskaya, Tony C. Liao,
Madeline E. Smith, Victoria Schwanda Sosik, and Kaiton Williams. 2013.
Limiting, leaving, and (re)lapsing: an exploration of facebook non-use
practices and experiences. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on
Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA,
3257-3266. DOI=10.1145/2470654.2466446
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2470654.2466446

> Pavica Sheldon, Profiling the non-users: Examination of life-position
indicators, sensation seeking, shyness, and loneliness among users and
non-users of social network sites, Computers in Human Behavior, Volume
28, Issue 5, September 2012, Pages 1960-1965, ISSN 0747-5632,
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.05.016.

> Tufekci, Z. (2008). Grooming, Gossip, Facebook and MySpace: What Can We
Learn About These Sites From Those Who Won?t Assimilate? . Information,
Communication & Society, 11(4), 544 - 564.

> but they don't talk much about how people are perceived if they don't
participate (though Baumer et al mention pressure to join on p. 4)

> Marwick, A. (2013). Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in
the Social Media Age. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.

> has some on this but the SF tech community is perhaps an outlier case?
>
> Anyway I hope you can suggest some alternatives!
>
> ...And Happy holidays to one and all!
>

> --
> Dr David Brake, FHEA (@drbrake http://davidbrake.org/) Senior Lecturer,
Journalism & Communications, University of Bedfordshire