[Air-L] Impending end of Facebook use among teens debunked

David Brake davidbrake at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 05:45:11 PST 2013

Dear all,

I don't know whether you have seen the stories going around about Facebook being "dead" to teens? It's based on an exaggerated misreading of Daniel Miller's ethnographic research - if you want to follow it up or people/students ask about it I have written a piece in The Conversation http://buff.ly/JECYuf giving some background information and statistics to put the story into perspective. TL;DR version - Facebook use might decline somewhat in the coming months and years but given the amount it's being used by teens it has a long way to fall before it's anything close to dead.

If you've got better stats than the Pew and OxIS data I was able to source, let me know and I will try to add them in.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David Brake, FHEA (@drbrake http://davidbrake.org/) Senior Lecturer, Journalism & Communications, University of Bedfordshire http://www.beds.ac.uk/departments/jc