[Air-L] Elsevier is taking down papers from Academia.edu

Gil De Zuniga, Homero hgz at austin.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 7 11:46:03 PST 2013

I know this might sound a bit odd, and I admit it beforehand : -}
But it sends to me that "us" researchers are the ones who are really losing in this trend, beyond the discussion of open research.
1. We do the research
2. We review the research
3. The research gets published by Elsevier and other publishers, or Academia.edu
4. We make no money.
5. They do.
I agree the system should be open. But if it's not, why shouldn't be the case that at least a decent part of the financial benefits revert back to the authors, departments, research units, schools, etc...
Saludos,
HGZ

Homero Gil de Zúñiga
Associate Professor
Director, Digital Media Research Program (DMRP)
communication.utexas.edu/strauss/dmrp
Annette Strauss Institute for Civic Life
College of Communication
University of Texas - Austin
utexas.edu
Voice (512) 471 6323