[Air-L] OCIS Professional Development Workshop: Call For Proposals

Mary Beth Watson-Manheim mbwm at uic.edu
Sat Dec 7 13:10:55 PST 2013

OCIS Professional Development Workshop: Call For Proposals

Submission Deadline January 14, 2014

The Organizational Communication and Information Systems (OCIS) Division of the Academy of Management (AOM) encourages interdisciplinary scholarship and dialogue on communication, collaboration, social networks, and technology use from variety of perspectives, including strategic, managerial, behavioral, and operational issues.  To explore these many issues, proposals are invited for the Professional Development Workshops (PDWs) at the AOM Annual Meeting to be held in Philadelphia, PA, USA, 1-5 August 2014.

PDW sessions (to be held on Friday and Saturday 1-2 August 2014) are an opportunity to explore cutting edge issues, discuss unresolved questions, learn (or teach) best practices in teaching and research, debate future directions for our field and organize novel activities that bring the expertise and experience of OCIS members to bear on the challenges that we all face in our daily professional lives.   PDW sessions might include lectures, classes, workshops, invited speakers, town hall meetings, debates, tours and any other activity that will help members develop their professional skills.  Central to each session should be the goal of engaging participants in a high level of interaction.

We particularly seek proposals that address the conference theme: The Power of Words. For example, a PDW might help participants learn how the use of social media and openness of information and communication flows has affected privacy and security procedures of many organizations, or about new ICT-enabled collaborations among people from different national, cultural and linguistic backgrounds and implications for management practice.  Acceptance of proposals will be based on (a) relevance to the interests of the Division’s membership; (b) creativity; (c) potential to foster integration with the rest of the Academy (we welcome proposals that identify other Divisions and Interest Groups as co-sponsors; more than one co-sponsor can be suggested).  Our goal is to have a slate of PDWs that is as diverse, creative and interesting as our membership.

If you are interested in proposing a PDW session, you may contact the OCIS PDW chair, Mary Beth Watson-Manheim, before 13 December 2013 for feedback. All proposals for PDW activities must be submitted to the AOM submission website (http://aom.org/annualmeeting/submission/) by January 14, 2014, 5PM ET (NY Time).

--
Mary Beth Watson-Manheim
Associate Professor