[Air-L] Elsevier and academia.edu

Ian O'Byrne wiobyrne at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 13:50:43 PST 2013

Hi all,

Excellent...and timely discussion. I spent last week in Dallas at the
Literacy Researcher's Association conference in Dallas, TX. Before the
conference I received a message from one of the biggest names in literacy
research asking me about materials that I recently uploaded to
Academia.edu. She noticed that I uploaded some pieces that she wanted
citations for...and wanted some guidance on whether or not it was
appropriate to upload some of her work. Specifically, I noticed that some
of my colleagues were uploading proofs of high-quality journals in the
field. I did not upload my copies from the journal...instead I uploaded
earlier drafts, or the latest draft I submitted for publication. Needless
to say, I forwarded this conversation to her and this has all been very
enlightening.

During the conference we had many discussions about publishing, and sharing
materials openly online. I serve as e-editor for the organization and as a
result have been trying (with others) to coax the organization into
publishing more openly (and freely available) online. In planning and
committee meetings throughout the week I heard from many doc students, and
junior scholars in the field that are fearful to openly publish, share, or
blog online in the event that this will negatively affect their chances for
publishing, or tenure later in their careers. My advice to my peers in the
field is that they should be openly blogging and sharing materials about
their work. They should also work as openly online as possible, finding
opportunities to use (and cite) materials in open journals...and
submit/publish materials in open journals. Finally, as an organization,
I've been urging peers (and their students) to help collaboratively edit
and construct a Google Site we're using to save, index and archive openly
available materials. The Digital Texts and
Tools<https://sites.google.com/site/textsandtools/>repository is
designed for literacy scholars and educators who want to
share literacy, education, and technology resources. If you're interested
in editing access...please send me an email.

Once again, I appreciate the conversation on this topic. It has been
terribly fascinating, and timely for me. This recent confluence of ideas
and issues couldn't have come at a better time. I would like to see a
movement toward open and available resources online. I'd also like us to be
cognizant of individuals at all levels in the various disciplines and how
it affects us as we're currently stuck within two different models.

Thanks again,
-Ian

W. Ian O'Byrne, Ph.D.
wiobyrne.com

University of New Haven
Department of Education
*"Feet on the Ground and Eyes to the Sky"*
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
(203) 479-4272