[Air-L] Internet Research Methods Syllabus Inquiry

Janet Salmons, Ph.D. jesalmons at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:39:50 PST 2013

Jennifer,

Sounds like a great opportunity to introduce emerging researchers to a wide
range of methods. On the qualitative side, you might consider exploring
methods for collecting elicited data from interviews as well as extant data
from posts, archives and documents.

Online communications tools allow for many ways to interact with
participants through text, verbal and/or visual exchanges. By building
interview exercises into your course, students can practice collecting (and
analyzing) data.

I've posted a number of resources, including assignment ideas and syllabi,
to complement my books, and in shameless self-promotion I share it here:
http://blog.vision2lead.com/2013/12/12/teach/. *Online Interviews in Real
Time* provides both theoretical foundations and practical tips for
using text-based,
videoconference, web conference or virtual world technologies. *Cases in
Online Interview Research* offers examples from across disciplines and
across the globe. An analytic E-Interview Framework helps to explain
each study's
research design, ethical issues and approach. FYI, a new book,
*Qualitative **Online ** Interviews*, will be available this spring from
Sage http:// <http://bit.ly/1e7SexM>bit.ly/1e7SexM.

If you (or anyone) would like specific ideas for teaching students about
how to design and conduct online interviews, feel free to contact me off
list.

Happy researching!
Janet

*Janet Salmons Ph.D.*

*Capella University School of Business  and Vision2Lead, Inc.*Site-
http://www.vision2lead.com
Follow Twitter at #einterview
Now available as Kindle e-books: Online Interviews in Real Time & Cases in
Online Interview Research
PO Box 943
Boulder, CO 80306-0943
jsalmons at vision2lead.com