[Air-L] MacArthur Foundation contest

Julie Cohen jec at law.georgetown.edu
Mon Feb 4 06:29:23 PST 2013

[Of possible interest to some list members - I tried to forward the
actual email to the list but it got bounced]

A new competition offers $100,000 in prizes for creative and provocative
digital media pieces that offer new ideas and fresh perspectives to help
improve American democracy. The competition - Looking at Democracy
<http://www.lookingatdemocracy.org/>  - aims to spark a national
conversation about why government is important to our lives and how
individuals and communities can come together to strengthen American
democracy.

"Given our perception that the political system has failed to adequately
address major issues confronting the nation, MacArthur seeks to
stimulate discussion about the future of the Republic and invests in
promising ideas to help enhance democratic ideals, institutions, and
practices," said MacArthur President Robert Gallucci. "This new public
competition is all about engaging citizens and encouraging them to apply
their creative talents and offer their ideas to strengthen American
democracy."

By welcoming submissions in any digital format (e.g., videos, apps, data
visualizations, podcasts, graphic art), the competition hopes to engage
independent media makers, investigative reporters, students, graphic
designers, and artists - anyone with creative ideas to help engage
Americans and shift the political discussion in a fresh and engaging
way. Examples of successful approaches could include addressing a
critical topic that is absent from the national debate, looking at data
and exploring the stories behind them, or highlighting an aspect about
democracy taking place on a local level.

Looking at Democracy is a project of the Illinois Humanities Council and
funded by MacArthur. Submissions are due by April 30 and will be
reviewed by a panel of expert judges from media and the nonprofit
community.

Read the press release >>
<http://www.macfound.org/press/press-releases/challenge-offers-prizes-fr
esh-ideas-democracy/>