[Air-L] Planning AOIR fishbowl, need fish

Janet Salmons, Ph.D. jesalmons at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:52:30 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

When I go to a conference, I try to avoid conference coma.Do you know
that state? Simultaneously half asleep from time zone changes and
overly caffeinated, and trying to look intently interested in yet
another paper?  Even when the presentations are brilliant and
fascinating, listening for hours on end can put you at risk...

Of course at AOIR we have the opportunity to avoid this fate, since
Hector and the program committee have offered us the chance to give
participatory open fishbowl sessions. (See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishbowl_(conversation)#Method)  I'd like
to offer one (what do you expect from someone named "Salmons"?), but
am need of more fish. Would you like to join in and contribute to the
lively and engaging nature of AOIR in the Mile High City? If so,
please communicate to me off-list: jesalmons[at]gmail.com. Soon,
please, the deadline is looming!

Here is the proposed direction for the session: I am thinking about
adapting the "Resistance and Appropriation" themes of the conference
to look at the role of the researcher and the researched, the
decisions we make, and the ethical implications. These are some broad
organizing questions.... I'll consult with the fish to narrow them
down, or add other themes, in developing our proposal:

What are the processes through which we decide to use the Internet to
collect data- and to share our findings? How do our choices about ways
to use technology influence the data we collect-- from text to audio
to media? What are the implications for researchers, for example, the
new literacies needed to understand, analyze and explain visual and
multi-media data? Or, how do we decide whether to publish in
open-access journals?
How are online practices common in social media and social networking
adopted for online interviews, observations or data scraping, and what
are the implications for researchers and those being studied? When do
we appropriate others' writing in ways they do not necessarily expect?
What are the ethical dilemmas for netizens as well as for researchers?
What are the complex relationships between the researcher and
researched online? Where are the points of resistance-- does anyone
posting or tweeting have a way to resist having their writing scraped
or collected by researchers? Will we see a backlash?

I'd ask each speaker/participant to give a short statement about how
he/she has addressed these kinds of issues and what questions they
feel are unresolved or need more thought by the research community. As
moderator, I will summarize the open questions. Then we'll invite
audience members to join in the discussion by taking the "empty chair"
 to either respond to the questions on the table or add questions.
Then I'll summarize the questions/recommendations at the end. I will
record the session to capture the discussion.

My other confirmed discussant is Dale Buckholtz, PhD, whose recent
dissertation study was: "Classifying virtual collaboration skills:  A
case study of social network site users’ skills and transference to
virtual teamwork."

Best,

Janet

Janet Salmons Ph.D.
Capella University School of Business  and Vision2Lead, Inc.
Site- http://www.vision2lead.com
Follow Twitter at #einterview
Now available as Kindle e-books: Online Interviews in Real Time and
Cases in Online Interview Research
PO Box 943
Boulder, CO 80306-0943