[Air-L] Locating passive consumers on social network sites

Jan Christian Breitsohl janbreitsohl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 03:17:57 PST 2013

Hi Mengyao,

If I am not mistaken, you are drawing on opinion-seeking and
opinion-leading literature in an online context.

Related keywords may be lurkers, information-seeking, observers,
bystanders.

Useful, top journals: Journal of Computer-mediated Communication;
Computers in Human Behaviour; and, surprisingly maybe: Tourism Management
(best for scales, detailed literature reviews, clear methodology).

I am doing research on similar paradigms.

Best,

Jan

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:27:54 -0000, Maya Yuan <maya.yuan2010 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I’m doing a project that focuses on how people consume and respond to
> political content on a Twitter-like social network site. I was
> planning to target both active people who are highly interested in
> these contents, showing by posting comments (I actually found this
> group of people via reading the comments they posted on) or re-sending
> them; and passive consumers, who basically only read these contents.
> The problem is, it is hard to reach these passive population on a
> social network site. Does anyone have tips on locating these people or
> any literature about this question?
> Many thanks.
>
> Mengyao Yuan
> PhD student of sociology  University of Edinburgh
> Email: maya.yuan2010 at gmail.com

Jan Christian Breitsohl

Lecturer in Marketing Psychology
Aberystwyth University