[Air-L] internet/flesh "realms"

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 9 11:34:58 PST 2013

There's been a lot written and researched on this already.
But the issue keeps coming on. (I really wish scholarship were more
cumulative.)

In addition to the items posted in the previous AoIR list, may I suggest

Nathan Jurgenson's theoretical essays on "digital dualism", such as
http://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2011/09/13/digital-dualism-and-the-fallacy-of-web-objectivity/

The Rainie-Wellman _Networked_ book, especially Part II
http://www.amazon.com/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325258020&sr=1-1

which itself picks up on writing I've done for 15 years, such as

"An Electronic Group is Virtually a Social Network"
"Physical Place and Cyber Place: The Rise of Personalized Networking"
""Personal Relationships: On and Off the Internet" (with Jeff Boase)
"Social Connectivity in America" with Hua (Helen) Wang

all get-able on my website
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/index.html

Enjoy,
  Barry Wellman