[Air-L] Lurking terminology in different languages?

Scott Kushner scott.kushner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:14:14 PST 2013

Hi AOIRites (apologies for x-posting),

I'm at the beginnings of a project on internet lurking and have a question
for the polyglots among you.  What are the terms used in languages other
than English for lurking, which I understand to refer to the practices of
reading online without writing?  Bonus points for etymological guideposts.

For example, the contemporary English "to lurk" is tied to words having to
do with scowling, lowering, working, and scheming, whence the familiar
eavesdropping connotations.  It is also linked to shrugging off one's work
responsibilities.

In French (at least here in Québec), they use the terms "badauder" (verb),
"badaud" (individual), and "badaudage" (practice).  These are all linked to
words having to do with stupefaction, surprise, and involuntary
astonishment.

So, in the two languages I speak, two very different sets of etymological
baggage.  Thanks in advance for enlightening me to terminology in languages
you speak, either on- or off-list.

Scott Kushner
scott.kushner at gmail.com