[Air-L] Help with sources

Brian Holland bholland at law.txwes.edu
Tue Feb 12 11:41:58 PST 2013

Thanks, Tom.
You are right on the money (as is your friend) as to where this is coming from.
I've been playing with fair use and transformativeness for the past few years. In fact, my last article used both the Fairey case and the Prince case to further a different argument (“Social Semiotics in the Fair Use Analysis,” 24 Harvard Journal of Law & Technology 335 (2011)).  They are both vital steps in where I am trying to go now.  In essence, I am building an argument that relies both on the appropriation case and the image search cases (Kelly v. Arriba Soft and Perfect 10 v. Amazon.com).
And your friend is certainly correct, I'm definitely pushing the envelope a bit more with this piece (and ignoring Judge Batts to an extent).
Thank you so much for your response.  Your time is greatly appreciated.
Brian