[Air-L] Literature on online conflict

James Robson james.robson at gtc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 03:57:37 PST 2013

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help.  I’m looking for literature that deals with online conflict at a theoretical level.

For my doctorate I’m undertaking a digital ethnography of some teacher related online social spaces and conflict appears to be very important for the communities I’ve been participating in, mainly in two ways: firstly in meaning making arguments which develop users’ understandings of their subjects and themselves as professionals (eg arguments about the purpose of their subject, the purpose of teaching etc); and secondly, in arguments in which a majority unifies against a minority to emphasize a particular dominant discourse (eg you have to be a particular kind of person to be a good teacher).  In both of these situations conflict seems to be particularly important in relation to the construction and performance of users’ professional identities.

I’m trying to develop my thinking on what’s going on here, so am looking for literature that deals with online conflict particularly at a theoretical level.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
James