[Air-L] SPIR and IR and internet research and submission policies (was Re: AoIR 14 Announcement. Extended Deadline and More)

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:39:12 PST 2013

If I may interject on this graduate submission issue for a second here,
because it is a valid concern:

I've seen this at IAMCR and am involved in it in a minor capacity in terms
of reviewing abstracts... As a part of this organization, seasoned students
have created Emerging Scholars Network. This group has their own separate
track. Graduate students could send their submissions in to this track and,
from what I have seen, the submissions here have a slightly more flexible
acceptance standards. That way, they learn the ropes, get to present their
research if it is any good, and meet people when they come in. The
organization also provides mentorship, matches profs with grad students
etc...

So, I hear Jeremy's concern and the need to maintain some kind of a quality
in submissions, but we could consider building something like this within
the AoIR organization. And by "we," I mean encouraging senior grad students
to take the initiative to do so. It is for their best interest anyway, the
organizers can put this in their CV under service. Students who participate
in it would meet like minded people build their networks, get the support
they need, train on how to write their abstracts and present them in
conferences etc...

My very long-winded two cents :)

BsB