[Air-L] Lurking terminology in different languages?

andres lombana-bermudez lombana at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 5 09:10:46 PST 2013

Hello Scott,

The etymological roots of the lurker terminology in different languages is
a fascinating topic of discussion. As you have already noticed with the
french language, the semantic connotations tend to be different and reveal
the nuances of internet cultures across different contexts.

In Spanish, my mother language, the literal translation of "lurker" is
"acechador." This translation, however, is not commonly used perhaps due to
the fact that it has semantic connotations linked to the behavior of
animals and hunters (*El leon acecha a su presa/ The lion lurks for its prey
*). Another Spanish translation for "lurker" is the term "mirón." This term
is more commonly used and it is linked to the act of watching, and to
voyeuristic practices. However, what I have also heard in my Spanish
conversations with people from South America and Spain is that when we
speak about internet culture, online participation, and communities of
practice, we tend to use the anglicism "lurker."

Thanks,

//andres