[Air-L] Critical Ethnography

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:50:24 PST 2013

Hi David,

Adding to the list of resources others have provided, here are a few
off the top of my head.  Some are reports of critical ethnographic
studies, some are method/conceptual pieces done by scholars who have
done ethnographies, and some are more related to critical approaches
to interpretive/qualitative methods, not ethnography specifically.  I
have always found them very useful.

If you notice it looks a bit heavy on the 'organization studies' side,
that's not just because  it's my PhD background.  A lot of the
advancement of critical ethnographic approaches has occurred in
organization studies/science/communication arenas, so its an area rich
with cases and exemplars.

Sorry for the sloppy citations; just grabbing from here and there
and....you get the picture....

...Cheers, and by the way, I'd love to see the final bibliography you
end up with (especially as I'm teaching a course in Critical
Ethnography this semester and my students would find it very useful),

annette

Alvesson and Skoldberg's book: Reflexive methodologies. This book is
generally excellent, but related to your question, they offer a great
breakdown of what constitutes critical approaches, and critical
ethnography)  (Sage, 2009).

Alvesson and Wilmott (2003). Studying Management Critically (Excellent
edited volume (by Sage) with several great pieces....I tend to revisit
those by Deetz, Forester, Martin, and Parker.)

Ashcraft, K. (2001). Organized dissonance: Feminist bureaucracy as
hybrid form. Academy of Management Journal 44(6), 1301-

Conquergood, D. (1991). Rethinking ethnography: Towards a critical
cultural politics. Communication Monographs, 58, 179–194.

Dei, Mazzuca, & McIsaac (1997). Reconstructing 'Dropout': A Critical
Ethnography of the Dynamics of Black Students' Disengagement from
School. University of Toronto Press.

Deetz, Stanley. (1992) Democracy in an age of corporate colonization:
Developments in communication and the politics of everyday life
Albany: State University of New York. (book)

Deetz, S.  (1998). Discursive formations, strategized subordination,
and self-surveillance:  An empirical case.  In A. McKinlay & K.
Starkey (eds.), Foucault, management and organizational theory, (pp.
151-172).  London:  Sage.

Fine, M. (1991).  Framing Dropouts: Notes on the Politics of an Urban
Public High School. Suny Press.

Forester, J. (1992). Critical ethnography: on fieldwork in a
Habermasian way. In Alvesson and Wilmott's edited collection Critical
Management Studies by Sage Press)

Hochschild, A. R. (1979). Emotion work, feeling rules, and social
structure. American journal of sociology, 85,    551-575.

Hochschild, A. R. (1983). The managed heart: Commercialization of
human feeling. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Marcus, G. & Fischer, M. (1982?).  Anthropology as cultural critique.
University of Chicago Press.

Madison, Soyini (2012). Critical Ethnography: Method, ethics, and
performance. (sage, textbook)

Markham, A. (1996). Designing Discourse: A Critical Analysis Of
Strategic Ambiguity and Workplace Control Management Communication
Quarterly May 1, 1996 9: 389-

Mumby, D. K., & Stohl, C. (1991). Power and Discourse in Organization
Studies: Absence
and the Dialectic of Control. Discourse and Society, 2, 313-332.Mumby,
D.K. (1987) `The Political Function of Narrative in Organizations',
Communication Monographs 54: 113-127.

Mumby, D.K. (1988) Communication and Power in Organizations:
Discourse, Ideology and Domination. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.

Mumby, D. K., & Putnam, L. (1992). The Politics of Emotion: A Feminist
Reading of
"Bounded Rationality." Academy of Management Review, 17, 465-486.

Putnam, L., Bantz, C., Deetz, S.,  Mumby, D., & Van Maanen, J.
(1993).  Ethnography versus critical theory. Journal of Management
Inquiry.  2, 221-235.

Rosen, M. (1985) `Breakfast at Spiro's: Dramaturgy and Dominance',
Journal of Management 11(2): 31-48.

Rosen, M. (1986?).  You asked for it: Christmas at the boss' expense.
Journal of Management Studies, 25, 463-

Shome, R. (2003). Space Matters: The power and practice of space.
Communication Theory, 13(1) 39-

Willis, Paul. (1981). Learning to Labor: How working class kids get
working class jobs (book)

Thomas, Jim (1992). Critical ethnography (Sage book).

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Guest Professor, Department of Informatics, Umeå University, Sweden
Affiliate Professor, School of Communication, Loyola University, Chicago
amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/
Twitter: annettemarkham