[Air-L] articles, references on moving across the digital/physical realms?

Jernej Amon Prodnik jernej.prodnik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:06:54 PST 2013

Hi,

I feel this online/offline, virtual/real (or whatever) dichotomy has become
very much obsolete (if not completely false). I wrote a chapter a couple of
years ago (but it's actually been published last year) that dealt exactly
with communities. I wanted to demonstrate why and how this dichotomy is
false from a critical-theoretical point of view. I don't know if I
succeeded, but you might be interested in it nevertheless (post-print
version is available here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/111293835/Prodnik-Jernej-Post-Fordist-Communities-
and-Cyberspace-A-Critical-Approach)

In any case, I think recent social developments (complete normalisation of
technology, which has become an 'natural' thing for most people in the
Western societies, basically an extension of our bodies and minds) confirm
this, which also goes for quite some empirical studies: that it's
increasingly difficult to separate these two dimensions/spheres because
they've become totally blurred. I can understand the fascination with
technology as being one of the crucial elements in the study though as this
interests me too, but I'd be vary of 'the medium is the message'
implications that are often inherent in analyses (an implicit
techno-determinism?).

Whether you agree with this point of view or not I'd nevertheless suggest
that we at least remain a little sceptical of this binary opposition. I'd
also be open to any criticism of course.

Best,
Jernej