[Air-L] AoIR 14 Announcement. Extended Deadline and More

David J. Phillips davidj.phillips at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 24 16:53:41 PST 2013

I would like to strongly object to this:

> 3. In the interests of providing reviewers with consistency in submitted papers, all paper submissions must adhere to the SPIR template.  That template is now linked on the CfP page of the AoIR 14 site.  See it at http://ir14.aoir.org/cfp/

What is the point?

Does any reviewer really have a problem reading papers in formats other than this? Can they not compare the content of papers if those papers have different margins or font sizes or long quote conventions?  Do our reviewers read only one journal? Are they desperately confused by varying citation styles?  If any of these are the case, they are perhaps not qualified to review.

AoIR is interdisciplinary. Style templates are associated (for reasons I've never fully understood) with certain disciplines.  Why are we forcing our authors into one particular disciplinary form?

And simply in terms of efficiency, it is a much bigger pain in the ass (for me anyway) to write in a different template than it is to read in a different template.

What am I missing here? What's the point?

djp

David J. Phillips, Associate Professor
Faculty of Information
University of Toronto