[Air-L] SPIR and IR and internet research and submission policies (was Re: AoIR 14 Announcement. Extended Deadline and More)

David J. Phillips davidj.phillips at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 25 07:07:42 PST 2013

OK. So the new submission policies are not for reviewers, but for the editors of SPIR.  That makes more sense. And I see how the additional requirements of the content of the submissions (word length, lit review, presentation and discussion of "findings") will elicit papers more amenable to publication.

Still, I question (in all good faith and even good cheer) the practice of requiring all *conference* submissions to be in the form best suited for *journal* publications.

In my experience, AoIR is a great conference, in part because I never know quite what to expect. Regardless of my expectations, what I've consistently found is a ratio of worthwhile to useless presentations that exceeds that of more conservative, "rigorous" conferences. I'm thinking ICA in particular. I would hate to see the generosity of spirit that animates the IR conference bartered for greater ease and better outcome in the production of SPIR.

SPIR selects for publication (as far as I can tell) a small percentage of the papers presented at the conference.  I believe it should recognize that it is publishing not "the best of IR," but "the best of IR suitable to the published scholarly paper format."

I understand that there may also be a wish to raise the overall quality of submissions. This seems a fine goal. But I question (again with respect and bon homie) whether requiring the lit review, method, findings, discussion format is the way to do this.  There's got to be a way of saying to potential submitters "There's got to be a there there" without retreating so fully to a very conservative definition of what research is.

Finally, thank you, organizers, for making these decisions and offering us the opportunity to engage, resist, and/or appropriate.

djp