[Air-L] Reminder: Cfp IAMCR 2013 Emerging Scholar Network Section until 28 January

Julia Pohle jpohle at vub.ac.be
Tue Jan 8 08:39:39 PST 2013

A quick reminder about the approaching deadline for submitting abstracts
to the Emerging Scholar Network Section of IAMCR and the joint
ESN/GigaNet panel.
This year, the deadline is earlier than usual: 28 January!

----

IAMCR 2013 - Emerging Scholars Network Section - Call for Papers

The /Emerging Scholars Network/ (ESN) welcomes submissions for theAnnual
Conference of the International Association for Media and Communication
Research <http://iamcr2013dublin.com> (IAMCR) to be held at the Dublin
City University on June 25-29, 2013 in Dublin, Ireland.

We invite you to submit abstracts (250- 300 words) of your research
papers. We welcome submissions on a variety of topics pertinent to
communication and media studies research. We also encourage submissions
that address this year's conference theme Crisis, 'Creative Destruction'
and the Global Power and Communication Orders <http://iamcr.org/cfp>.
For more information on this year's conference theme, please refer to
the general call for papers <http://iamcr.org/cfp>. If you are
submitting a work in progress, we welcome your submission! Please state
that it is a work in progress in your abstract.

The deadline for submission of abstracts is *January 28, 1013* via the
*Open Conference System* (OSC) at http://iamcr-ocs.org. Submissions must
include author name(s), affiliation, address, e-mail address, and paper
title. Please note that this deadline will not be extended. The OCS
opens on *November 15, 2012* and closes on *January 28, 2013*. Early
submission is strongly encouraged.

Please note that individuals may submit 1 abstract (paper) per Section
or Working Group as lead author, and a maximum of 2 abstracts (papers)
to a single IAMCR conference in general.

Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated to individual
applicants by the Section co-chairs on *February 28, 2013*. For those
whose abstracts are accepted, full conference papers are to be submitted
via the IAMCR OCS by*May 28, 2013*.

Please also take a look at our suggestions on how to write an abstract.

      About ESN

ESN is a section dedicated to the work and careers of emerging scholars
in the field of media studies and communication. Therefore, we
especially look for works in progress from graduate students and new
university instructors/professors who are interested in substantial
feedback and comments intended to advance their projects.

The ESN organizes emerging scholar panels and joint panels with other
sections. Our emerging scholar panels provide a comfortable environment
for the presentation of theses and works in progress, where emerging
scholars can receive feedback from colleagues also at the beginning of
their careers and from senior scholars who act as respondents to
individual papers.

In line with the purpose of our section, the ESN also organizes panels
about issues affecting emerging scholars, such as:

  * Publishing research results;
  * Mentoring and the Student-mentor relationship;
  * Academic work and academic jobs;
  * Neoliberalism in the academy;
  * Language barriers in academia.

Further announcements on panels and events on such topics, and practical
information on the ESN mentorship programme, will follow over the coming
months. For further information, please do not hesitate to contact the
section co-chairs.

*Section Co-Chairs*
Francesca Musiani
francesca.musiani [at] gmail.com <http://gmail.com>

Sandra Ristovska
sristovska [at] asc.upenn.edu <http://asc.upenn.edu>

    Special Call, ESN/GigaNet joint panel "Emerging Scholars'
    Perspectives on Internet Governance"

The /ESN/ and the /Global Internet Governance Academic Network/
(GigaNet) invite abstract proposals (250-300 words) for a joint panel
addressing the recent, interdisciplinary research field of Internet
Governance through the eyes of emerging scholars.

GigaNet <http://giga-net.org/>is a scholarly community that promotes the
development of Internet Governance as a recognized, interdisciplinary
field of study and facilitates informed dialogue on policy issues and
related matters between scholars and governments, international
organizations, the private sector and civil society.

In accordance with both the ESN and the GigaNet Symposiums tradition, we
welcome submissions containing innovative approaches and/or addressing
emerging research areas within the field of Internet Governance.

For further information, please do not hesitate to contact ESN Co-Chair,
and GigaNet outreach officer, Francesca Musiani (francesca.musiani [at]
gmail.com <http://gmail.com>).

*NOTE*: If you submit a prposal for this special call, please include
the name of the call (ESN/GigaNet joint panel) in the first line of your
abstract.

    Special Call, ESN in Spanish / ESN Hispanohablante

El grupo de estudios ESN Hispanohablante y Comunicación Latinoamericana
abre la convocatoria para presentar trabajos en español en la
Conferencia IAMCR 2013. Invitamos a académicos emergentes (estudiantes
de post-grado y nuevos docentes) a enviar sus propuestas (entre 250 y
300 palabras) en español y con un enfoque latinoamericano de la
comunicación.

Las propuestas a ESN Hispanohablante deberán ser enviadas a ESN
exclusivamente a través del Open Conference System (OCS)
http://iamcr-ocs.org. El OCS estará recibiendo propuestas desde el *15
de Noviembre de 2012* hasta el *28 de Enero del 2013*.

En caso de dudas o preguntas antes de enviar la propuesta, por favor
escribir al coordinador del grupo /ESN Hispanohablante y Comunicación
Latinoamericana/, Franklin Cornejo Urbina (fcu_75 [at] yahoo.com
<http://yahoo.com>).

*NOTA*: Si presenta una propuesta a este llamado especial, por favor
incluya el nombre del llamado (ESN Hispanohablante) en la primera línea
del Resumen.

    Joint Panels with Other IAMCR Sections and Working Groups

According to the abstracts submitted and the levels of interest in
specific areas or topics, one or more panels may be organized jointly
with other IAMCR sections and working groups. Past jointly held panels
have included collaborations with the /Global Media Policy Working
Group/, the/Law section/, the/Political Communication section/, and the
/Media Education section/.

A session on career paths and options for both senior and emerging
scholars, is currently being organized in collaboration with Dr. Robert
Huesca (Trinity University, Dublin) and Dr. Sandra Braman (University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee).

*Julia Pohle* | Researcher

SMIT, Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication
iMinds - Digital Society
Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Julia.Pohle at vub.ac.be
office: +32 2 629 16 32
mobile: +32 488 596721
Pleinlaan 9 | 1050 Brussels | Belgium

http://smit.vub.ac.be

*Recent publication:* From NWICO to WSIS. 30 years of communication
geopolitics. Intellect, 2012.
<http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4874/>