[Air-L] Looking to identify public history projects: aka: historical research projects that include a strong component of social media and crowd sourcing

Mia mia.ridge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 05:23:42 PST 2013

On 12 January 2013 18:11, Venkata R Suri <ratandeep.suri at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently studying how historians and museums incorporate social
> media into historical research. I wanted to reach out to the community to
> help me identify some social history projects that have a strong component
> social media component in it. I also wanted to get in touch with scholars
> who are working on such projects.

The best source for museums and digital/social media projects is the site
and community around the Museums and the Web conference, including 'Best of
the Web' nominations (2012-1997) http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/best and
conference proceedings:
2012 http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/mw2012/sessions
2011 http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/mw2011/sessions
2010-1987 http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/researchForum

You might also look at the Digital Humanities Awards
http://dhawards.org/(nominations closed on the 11th so presumably
they'll publish the list of
nominees soon); the archives of the Public History Review
http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/phrj/issue/archive and
the (US) National Council on Public History Awards
http://ncph.org/cms/awards/public-history-project-award/

The Digital Humanities conference also includes some social history and
crowdsourcing projects e.g. DH2012
http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/conference/programme/abstracts/ as did the
first Digital Humanities Australasia conference http://aa-dh.org/program/

You could look for people tweeting with #dhist, #musetech (and variations)
or look through the archives of the Museums Computer Group
http://bit.ly/mcglist or the Museum Computer Network
http://www.mcn.edu/mcn-l lists.

Cheers, Mia