[Air-L] Publishing in Open Access and Resigning from Toll Access

Joseph Reagle joseph.2011 at reagle.org
Tue Jan 15 05:08:27 PST 2013

On 01/15/2013 12:15 AM, danah boyd wrote:
> To the broader issues, you'd be amazed at how often you can negotiate
> copyright with publishers if you try.

Indeed. For people interested in taking the steps to make their work
open access, our own Peter Suber offers much clarity and guidance in his
book of the same name.

   http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/hoap/Open_Access_(the_book)

Also, this was in the news yesterday. Harvard has taken another step on
the open access front, encouraging its researchers to resign from "toll
access" journals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/apr/24/harvard-university-journal-publishers-prices

 > Exasperated by rising subscription costs charged by academic
publishers, Harvard University has encouraged its faculty members to
make their research freely available through open access journals and to
resign from publications that keep articles behind paywalls.
 > A memo from Harvard Library to the university's 2,100 teaching and
research staff called for action after warning it could no longer afford
the price hikes imposed by many large journal publishers, which bill the
library around $3.5m a year.