[Air-L] Call for Proposals for ICA Preconference on China and the New Internet World in Oxford on 14 June 2013

William Dutton william.dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 02:52:04 PST 2013

Planning for the ICA Preconference on China and the New Internet World is progressing well. It will be held at the University of Oxford on the 14th of June, prior to the main ICA Conference in London. The programme will be open for short abstracts of proposed papers to be presented at the pre-conference, with abstracts due by 1 February 2013, and completed papers due by 1 May 2013. All abstracts should be sent to events at oii.ox.ac.uk. More information about the event can be found at: http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/events/?id=555 and on the ICA Web site at: https://www.icahdq.org/conf/2013/confdescriptions.asp

The preconference will flow into a joined event on the next day, Saturday 15 June, when we will be holding the Eleventh Chinese Internet Research Conference (CIRC11). This conference is open to a wider range of topics about the Chinese Internet, but we hope the two events will be as complementary as possible. We are also open to the submission of papers for this event. Instructions and more information about CIRC11 is available online at: http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/events/?id=549

Both events seek to acknowledge and critcally examine one of the most significant developments around the New Internet World, as China and Asia generally continue to shift the centre of gravity of global Internet use. Both events are being jointly organized by the Oxford Internet Institute (OII) in collaboration with the Programme of Comparative Media Law and Policy (PCMLP) and the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism (RISJ) at the University of Oxford, in partnership with the Chinese Internet Research Conference (CIRC), the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism at USC, the Center for Global Communications Studies at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, the Global Communication Research Institute at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, and the Singapore Internet Research Center at Nanyang Technological University. We are also grateful to Taylor and Francis/Routledge, for their sponsorship.

William H. Dutton
Professor of Internet Studies
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford