[Air-L] [JVWR] Managerial and Commercial Applications: A New Issue is published

Tzafnat Shpak tzafnat.shpak at jvwresearch.org
Wed Jan 2 00:29:30 PST 2013

    Trouble viewing this email? Click
here<http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=de4fa2a435382cb1fa67cb708&id=6dc38cd878&e=>
view it online.
[image: Journal of Virtual Worlds
Research]<http://jvwresearch.org/?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>

Dear subscribers,

We are happy to announce the new publication of The Journal of Virtual
Worlds Research:
*Volume 5, Number 3: Managerial & Commercial Applications*

The editorial team for this issue:

   - *Shu Schiller*, Wright State University, USA
   - *Brian Mennecke*, Iowa State University, USA
   - *Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah*, Missouri University of Science and Technology,
   USA

Scholars and practitioners are confronted with an apparent contradiction:
on the one hand, the business case for virtual worlds appears to offer
great promise; while on the other hand, the observed returns and
demonstrable successes are often absent or negligible. This special issue
on *“managerial and commercial applications”* of virtual worlds aims to
highlight research that makes a significant and novel contribution in
theory and practice about virtual worlds in the business domain.

In this last issue of 2012 you will find three papers on the topic, two
“Assembled” papers and one “Think Piece.”

Managing Editor Corner

   - From Orlando to Milan: Virtual Worlds Business
Disillusionment<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/7031?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Yesha Y. Sivan

Research Papers

   - Time for a Post-Mortem?: Business Professionals’ Perspectives on the
   Disillusionment of Virtual
Worlds<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6324?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Patrick J. Bateman, Jacqueline C. Pike, Nicholas Berente, Sean Hansen
   - Training Evaluation in Virtual Worlds: Development of a
Model<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6335?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Richard N. Landers, Rachel C. Callan
   - Avatar Identification on a 3D Commercial Website: Gender
Issues<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6321?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Ingrid Poncin, Marion Garnier

Assembled (Rush to Press Papers)

   - Does Loving an Avatar Threaten Real Life
Marriage?<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6296?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Richard A Kolotkin, Maggie M Williams, Casey Lloyd, Earnest W Hallford
   - The Cowl Makes the Monk: How Avatar Appearance and Role Labels Affect
   Cognition in Virtual
Worlds<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6280?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Jorge Peña, Matthew S McGlone, Joseph Sanchez

“Think Pieces”

   - A Cross-Case Analysis of Possible Facial Emotion Extraction Methods
   that Could Be Used in Second Life - Pre Experimental
Work<http://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/index.php/jvwr/article/view/6270?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   Shahnaz Kamberi

We are also happy to let you know of the following:

   - Our next issue *Assembled (2013) * will be led by JVWR Managing Editor
   Prof. Yesha Sivan, Metaverse Labs & Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yaffo,
   Israel
   - We just came back from *Orlando Augmented Reality workshop* and are
   already planning our next major JVWR event – in Milan, Italy. So mark your
   calendars around December 16-18, 2013
(http://icis2013.aisnet.org/<http://icis2013.aisnet.org/?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   ).
   - Check our web site's special page on*
events<http://jvwresearch.org/index.php/2011-06-12-18-46-09?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   * in our field for updates.
   - Review* past
issues<http://jvwresearch.org/index.php/past-issues/all-issues?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
    *on our website's special *all issues cover view* page.
   - We welcome you to join our Facebook page
'theJVWR<https://www.facebook.com/TheJVWR?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   '
   - Follow us*
@theJVWR<https://twitter.com/TheJVWR?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   * on Twitter
   - And/or subscribe to our mailing list (on the top left of
   http://www.jvwreserach.org<http://www.jvwreserach.org/?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>
   ).

It is in the spirit of these holidays that we would like to say thank you
and best wishes for 2013! May peace, prosperity, and happiness be yours
throughout RL and VWs alike.

*Tzafnat Shpak*
Coordinating Editor

*Prof. Yesha Y. Sivan*
Managing Editor

TheJVWR - The Journal of Virtual Worlds Research
http://jvwresearch.org<http://jvwresearch.org/?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>

[image: Managerial and Commercial Applications Vol. 5 No. 3
Cover]<http://jvwresearch.org/?utm_source=Journal+of+Virtual+Worlds+Research+Announcements&utm_campaign=6dc38cd878-Mng_and_Com_Apps_5_3_Published&utm_medium=email>

© 2012 Journal of Virtual Worlds Research All rights reserved.

--

*Tzafnat Shpak*

tzafnat.shpak at jvwresearch.org
http://jvwresearch.org