[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 102, Issue 8

Denice Szafran szafran at geneseo.edu
Wed Jan 9 15:28:07 PST 2013

Hello David -

Alex Golub's information on the term"tribe" is very good. If you would
like information on the current use of the terminology to describe the
gropings and organization of online cultures, give Steve Wheeler's
"Connected Minds, Emerging Cultures" a look. He has a chapter titled
"Digital Tribes, Virtual Clans" that goes into a good introduction of
his perception of the delineation. While the term is problematic as it
arose in anthropology historically, folks in CMC, social networking
analysis, and HCI use it quite regularly with a very specific definition.

Denice Szafran
Visiting Lecturer and Coordinator of the Linguistics Minor
Anthropology Department
13F Sturges, 1 College Circle, Geneseo, NY 14454
585-245-5174