[Air-L] Literature/cases request: Obligations to know (e.g., RTFM)

Joseph Reagle joseph.2011 at reagle.org
Tue Jan 22 12:32:06 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in cultural norms and expressions of an "obligation to
know." In the hacker realm this is well developed: clue (cluestick,
clue-by-four), asshats, newbies (newbs), RTFM (Read the "Fine" Manual),
lazyweb, etc. In minority (e.g., race, sex, gender) studies there's the
notion of privilege, *-centrism, and the idea that it is not the
obligation of the oppressed to have to educate the ignorant majority. In
popular culture, there's "Topic 101."

Can you offer any other examples? Do you know how I might trace the
linguistic origins of "101"? (How and when did it first become popular?)
Can you point me to any related literature? (For example, Coleman's
(2012) discussion of RTFM in her recent "Coding Freedom," or Lori
Kendall's (2008) "'Noobs' and 'chicks' on Animutation Portal.")

If so, many thanks!

--
Regards,
Joseph Reagle                    http://reagle.org/joseph/