[Air-L] What can/should computers do?

Eric P. S. Baumer ericpsb at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 24 08:46:46 PST 2013

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was trying to cast a wide net, so I didn't
provide much detail. Let me see if giving a bit more context helps.

I have interview data from a field study on a novel tool that analyzes and
visualizes patterns of language in political content (news coverage and blogs).
There's a portion of the data where study participants speculated about
abilities the tool might have or how they might like to use it, e.g., showing
whether the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal was more biased and in
what direction. I'm trying to find some previous research in which to ground the
analysis of these data.

Hopefully this addresses some of the questions about, e.g., what constitutes
"computers" and the intended use.

Thanks again,
~Eric