[Air-L] Air-L NY Times story on privacy legislation

Andy andymcstay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 23:47:07 PST 2013

>From what I can tell the situation seems to be that some member states are
playing ball and have enforced the Cookie Directive (2009/136/EC) and
others, such as the UK, have been dragging their heels. This
involvesapplications of
the Directives where consent does not need to be obtained upfront. Hmm!

I have not read the NY Times article, but it is not all cookie-use that is
affected and it is possibly here where the confusion lay. Instead whereas
in the past website owners/managers had to tell users how they used
cookies, and how users might opt-out if they objected, they now have to
gain consent from users if they are to place cookies on a user’s machine.
Exceptions to this rule are restricted to situations where the placement of
cookies relates to a service explicitly requested by the user, as with the
case of automatic form-filling for example. Third-party cookies, the type
employed by behavioral advertising firms, are given special attention by
the legislation.

I wrote a paper published with NMS on this here:
http://nms.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/09/24/1461444812458434.full

Cheers,
Andy