[Air-L] Aaron's memorial - Air-L Digest, Vol 102, Issue 12

Jessica Richman jessica.richman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:40:50 PST 2013

Yes, danah, very well said. Thanks for responding, Sam!

I agree with many of Aaron's sentiments. It's true that the academic system
that we work in is totally broken as an educational, credentialing, and
knowledge generating system, and that we have a lot of work to do to fix
it. I think we can do this -- it's not a pipe dream. There have been many
movements that finally changed a corrupt system with the spark of a tragic
event. I hope this is one of them.

It's also, like you said, really bittersweet to have the immediate reaction
to someone's death be a movement about distributing PDFs of all things. I
mean, there wasn't a lot of time for mourning before all of these movements
and fixes came out. Maybe that's what he would have wanted -- I didn't know
him as well as you did. But we should also just take a collective deep
breath and say, "Wow, what an amazing person that was who left us." The
world is far poorer without him.

There's so much more to say and to do on this subject, but I'm glad that
we're carrying the conversation forward.

Jessica

--
Twitter @venturejessica http://bit.ly/OfIYHS