[Air-L] What can/should computers do?

MacDougall, Robert robert_macdougall at post03.curry.edu
Tue Jan 22 09:48:12 PST 2013

Eric, All..

One more seminal piece is Norbert Weiner's Cybernetics.  Also can be quite theoretical in sections, but invaluable to your inquiry I'd think.  He rewrote swaths of it, adding plenty of concrete examples and such, in  The Human Use of Human Beings.

As for non-expert stuff, I haven't too many leads.  But Jaron Lanier's You are not a Gadget likely gets at some of what you are looking for there.  I heard him speak and chatted briefly with him last summer and know that he has some very important things to say regarding your general question.

Good luck,

-rob

Robert MacDougall
Professor, Communication/Media Studies