[Air-L] The Future of Media, Digital Futures Webinar on July 1Ith, 16.00hrs CET

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:01:52 PDT 2013

Dear AoIRists,

Some of you may find this of interest - most especially given the
opportunity to participate.
And many thanks to the several colleagues who have already provided me with
invaluable resources and suggestions!
- charles

 On 11 July 2013 (16.00hrs Brussels time / CET), the European Commission's
Digital Futures team invites you to a webinar on "The Future of Media", in
which Charles Ess, Andrea M. Matwyshyn and Daniel Knapp will probe future
norms and values for the media. This webinar is co-organised by the Digital
Futures team and DG CONNECT's Converging Media unit.

The discussion will be organized around three themes:
- Freedom of expression / Censorship: In 20 years' time, will the balance
between freedom of expression and protection of the public still be the
same?
- Child protection: Should children be empowered in 2030, protected or both
? How will we look at child protection? Protection from what and how?
- Advertising: Will advertising or paid-for content be part of a natural
ecology of the media and no longer be perceived as a potentially intrusive
or disturbing element in 2030?

There will then also be an opportunity for webinar participants to
contribute to the discussion, ask questions and brainstorm about
opportunities, challenges and policy implications of the vision during the
webinar itself. All this from the comfort of your own computer: webinars
take place entirely in an "online virtual room" where you will be able to
see and hear Charles, Andrea and Daniel and comment via a live chat.

Join us for this extended webinar where Futurizens from across the world
will have the opportunity to debate the "vulnerable consumer" theme both
with each of the expert who will launch the thematic discussion, and with
each other.

Register (it's free!) on the event page on Futurium
<https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/futurium/en/content/norms-and-values-me
dia-2030> , the platform for the co-creation of Digital Futures. Please
share this invitation.

If you are not able to attend the webinar, you can still share your views
and comment on the event. To do this, you need to register
<https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/futurium/user/register>  (it's also
free!) on Futurium. <https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/futurium/en>

The Futurium platform
<http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13347-013-0108-9>  is an online
space created and used by the EC's Digital Futures project
<http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/digital-futures>  to facilitate a broad
reflection on future European policies and their environment. It looks to
engage with stakeholders (i.e. citizens, experts, industries, academia, etc)
on the co-creation and voting of futures and policy ideas that matter to
them.

Futurium.  One platform. Your voices. Our future.

We look forward to seeing you and hearing from you on the 11th July.

Regards,

The Future of Media Event Hosting Team (Adam, Anne, Lorena, Franco)

PS Those who want to learn all about the technical nuts and bolts of
participation in our webinars through the virtual room may download the
webinar mini-manual, downloadable from here
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x8br0aaf8rga56q/SwkQScMLhi> .