[Air-L] Textbook on the information society theory

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:12:19 PDT 2013

Hi James and Air-l,

For the free, open, "Society and Information Technology" course I'm
planning to teach online this autumn, - on Harvard's virtual island in SL
and in Google + Hangouts vis-a-vis MIT OCW-centric World University and
School, -

I'm planning to use the new book by Rainie and Wellman "Networked: The New
Social Operating System" (MIT 2012- http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/networked)
as the main text (which is data-focused and which I also haven't used when
teaching this course in the past), also with

readings from Castells' "Rise of the Networked Society" trilogy (rev. eds.)
+,

with some great, generative talks examining the information age (Prof.
Manuel Castells-informed) ...

engaging the Conference Method of Teaching and Learning online -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_Method_of_Teaching_and_Learning...

possibly on Saturday's mid-day, Pacific Time (feedback about best times for
you welcome).

Here's a previous, course wiki -
http://socinfotech.pbworks.com/w/page/17175578/FrontPage.

I'll probably also explore designing the course anew in Google's
course-builder https://code.google.com/p/course-builder/ (which I also
haven't used before) and where I'll post the syllabus in the next few weeks.

... and I plan to design this course also vis-a-vis

a) how to build to a WUaS, MIT OCW course, accreditation-worthy standard,

b) coming into conversation with course-participants about this in the
course, and

c) prospective grad students who might like to teach next year, as well as

d) hypothetical graduate student instructors hired by WUaS (planning to
hire MIT, Stanford, HYP, Cambridge grad students +  these universities -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Courses#University_course_listings) -
in the autumn of 2014, teaching interactively to MIT faculty in MIT OCW
video course.

*

If you'd like to join this conversation, please

Get an avatar (free) for Second Life

Get a Gmail address, and set up your G+ profile for Hangouts (all free)

Get the book Networked (MIT 2012) by Rainie and Wellman, and begin reading.

Invite friends to participate

Let me know at worlduniversityandschool at gmail.com

Here's a blog entry about this -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2013/07/dandelion-to-seed-free-open-society-and.html