[Air-L] CMC - mobile phones included?

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 00:19:30 PDT 2013

Dear Air-ers -

Even though I'm an "AoIR' dropout, I find this conversation a tad confusing. 'Computer' originally meant anything that supplied calculation, including humans as computers.

Today, while digital is the acceptable format for computation, digital computation depends on microprocessors (the chip itself).

Naturally there would be a chip in one's phone that would manage computation or certainly i/o functions.

Let the geeks out there much smarter than moi (Elijah and others) correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the phone working without a chip. Hence, it remains a CMC.

However, the caveat is that I have never liked CMC, or ICT for that matter. Matthew Allen once suggested NICT - networked information communication technology. I like the network idea.

But que sera sera. The phone processes. Without the processing, we have no communication. Vocal cords vibrating with nowhere to go.

Denise

Dr Denise N. Rall, Adjunct Lecturer, School of Arts & Social Sciences
Chair of Textiles & Secretary, Popular Culture Australia-New Zealand
Currently in Lismore, NSW, Australia
Phones - Mobile +(61)(0)438 233344 Fax +(61)(0)2 6624 5380

 From: "Taylor-Smith, Ella" <E.Taylor-Smith at napier.ac.uk>