[Air-L] Job: Research Assistant in NYC area

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 07:30:04 PDT 2013

RESEARCH ASSISTANT NEEDED FOR FALL

I’m looking for a research assistant to help me with ongoing academic
projects and some fall substitute teaching while I’m traveling. I’m working
on a new major project around online sexist hate speech and misogyny.
The RAwould do some literature reviews, online data collection/coding,
help
schedule interviews, paperwork, possibly accompany me to interviews, etc. I
am traveling a ton in the fall and teaching two internet-related
undergraduate classes, so the ideal candidate could also cover those
classes for me while I’m out of town. (Classes are 9/16, 10/24, 10/28,
11/21 in the morning at the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx).

ME: Assistant professor at Fordham University in Communication and Media
Studies. My work looks at the impact of the internet on identity,
self-presentation, and social interaction. More: http://www.tiara.org.

YOU: Should be a PhD student in Communications, Media Studies, Information
Studies or similar with a solid interest in internet studies. I prefer
someone who leans more towards the qualitative social science side than the
quant or humanities side, but am flexible. Interest in gender studies a big
plus. MUST BE in the greater NYC area.

DETAILS: $18 an hour pre-tax. I currently have funding for 80 hours,
possibly more to come. I would like the candidate to start late summer and
continue into the fall. Work will be billed hourly.

Most work will be done remotely aside from the substitute teaching.
Fordham’s campus is in the Bronx; it’s a schlep up to Rose Hill but not too
bad on Metro-North.  If we need to meet in person, it will be somewhere in
Manhattan since I live downtown.

Unfortunately, Fordham requires a drug test and background check. There’s
nothing I can do about this, so if you’re not comfortable with such, please
do not apply.

Please send CV and writing sample (preferably a literature review or a
journal-length article with a lit review) to amarwick at gmail.com. Put
“research assistant” in the subject line.

--
Alice E. Marwick, PhD
Assistant Professor
amarwick at fordham.edu