[Air-L] Corporate censorship of political discourse?

Sean P. Goggins s at goggins.com
Fri Jul 5 07:30:00 PDT 2013

Hi Charles,

My research group published an analysis of the Tea Party Patriots Facebook
page in 2012 that identified censorship of discourse as a fairly routine
phenomena on that particular page (We have witnessed it with other online
groups as well).

http://seangoggins.net/sites/default/files/Sheperdingandcensorship.pdf

Thanks!

Sean

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Luis Hestres <luishestres at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> I just published a piece in the International Journal of Communication
> that could be helpful for your presentation. It's called "App Neutrality:
> Apple’s App Store and Freedom of Expression Online."
>
> http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/1904
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Luis
>
> - - - - -
> Luis E. Hestres
> Ph.D. candidate | School of Communication | American University
> More about me at luishestres.com (http://luishestres.com/) or LinkedIn (
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/hestres) | Follow me on Twitter (
> https://twitter.com/#!/luishestres/) | My SSRN Author page:
> http://ssrn.com/author=1820222
> "Theoretical critiques are like sociopaths: Their aggressive drives are
> rarely balanced by constructive instincts."
> -- From "Caught in a Winding, Snarling Vine: The Structural Bias of
> Political Process Theory" by Jeff Goodwin and James M. Jasper, Sociological
> Forum 14(1), 1999
>

> On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Charles Ess wrote:
>
> > Dear AoIRists,
> >
> > I've been asked to develop a presentation on the future of freedom of
> > expression in online environments, including discussion of multiple ways
> in
> > which - in addition to whatever governments may be up to in different
> > contexts and ways - the private enterprises that increasingly dominate
> and
> > control much of our online spaces and infrastructures censor political
> > speech and expression.
> >
> > One example passed on to me was of a well-established professional in a
> > European country (i.e., not fitting the profile of terrorist, anarchist,
> or
> > even leftist) who posted comments on his/her SNS page critical of the
> U.S.
> > These comments disappeared from the page without notice or explanation.
> >
> > I would be very grateful for:
> > 1) recommendations for careful studies of such events and phenomena which
> > include reliable documentation of their occurrence? (Yes, I realize that
> > documenting and studying such episodes would be extremely tricky and
> > difficult.)
> > And/or
> > 2) well documented anecdotes or examples (e.g., as reported in a reliable
> > newspaper of record) of such episodes?
> >
> > Please send these along offlist. I will, of course, more than happily
> > credit the sources and authors of any examples and resources collected
> and
> > used for the presentation (unless anonymity is requested instead).
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > - charles ess
> >
> > Professor in Media Studies
> > Department of Media and Communication
> > Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
> > <http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

> [...]

-- Sent from my iPhone, apologies for brevity and typos!

Sean P. Goggins, Ph.D
http://www.groupinformatics.org
Phone: (215) 948-2729

change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it."
-- Amelia Earhart

visit - http://www.sociotech.net
personal website - http://www.goggins.com