[Air-L] CFP: Fan Studies Network Symposium

Bertha Chin bertha.chin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 04:23:43 PDT 2013

Call for papers:

** **

*THE FAN STUDIES NETWORK SYMPOSIUM *

*30th November 2013*

*University of East Anglia*

* *

*Keynote: Professor Matt Hills (Aberystwyth University)*

** **

** **

We are delighted to announce the FSN2013 symposium, taking place at the
University of East Anglia, Norwich, on Saturday 30th November 2013. The
keynote speaker will be Professor Matt Hills, author of Fan Cultures
(Routledge, 2002) and Triumph of a Time Lord: Regenerating Doctor Who in
the 21st Century (I.B. Tauris, 2010).****

** **

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for individual 20 minute
papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We encourage new
members to the network and welcome proposals for presentations on, but not
limited to, the following possible topics:****

** **

-           Fan use of social media platforms****

-           Fan practices****

-           Activism and fandom****

-           Producer-audience interactions****

-           Underrepresented fan cultures****

-           New modes of fan fiction****

-           Ethics in fan studies****

-           Politics and Fandom****

-           Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom****

** **

We also invite expressions of interest (100-200 words) from anyone wishing
to host a short session of ‘speed
geeking<http://www.unconference.net/unconference-methods-speed-geeking/>.'
This would involve each speaker chairing a short discussion on a relevant
topic of their choosing, and then receiving extensive feedback, making it
ideal for presenting in-progress or undeveloped ideas. ****

** **

The day will conclude with a series of working group discussions, which we
anticipate will lead to individual and/or collaborative publication
opportunities.****

** **

Please send any enquires/abstracts to: fsnconference at gmail.com by *FRIDAY 23
rd AUGUST*. ****

Notifications of acceptance will be sent out w/c 2nd September.****

** **

You can find out more information on the symposium website:
http://www.uea.ac.uk/politics-international-media/events/fan-studies-network-symposiumor
talk about the event using #FSN2013.
****

** **