[Air-L] Corporate censorship of political discourse?

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:48:57 PDT 2013

Dear AoIRists,

I've been asked to develop a presentation on the future of freedom of
expression in online environments, including discussion of multiple ways in
which - in addition to whatever governments may be up to in different
contexts and ways - the private enterprises that increasingly dominate and
control much of our online spaces and infrastructures censor political
speech and expression.

One example passed on to me was of a well-established professional in a
European country (i.e., not fitting the profile of terrorist, anarchist, or
even leftist) who posted comments on his/her SNS page critical of the U.S.
These comments disappeared from the page without notice or explanation.

I would be very grateful for:
1) recommendations for careful studies of such events and phenomena which
include reliable documentation of their occurrence? (Yes, I realize that
documenting and studying such episodes would be extremely tricky and
difficult.)
And/or
2) well documented anecdotes or examples (e.g., as reported in a reliable
newspaper of record) of such episodes?

Please send these along offlist.  I will, of course, more than happily
credit the sources and authors of any examples and resources collected and
used for the presentation (unless anonymity is requested instead).

Many thanks in advance,
- charles ess

Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317