[Air-L] Field notes best practice?

James Robson james.robson at gtc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 8 09:57:09 PDT 2013

Hi Katie,

Your study sounds really interesting.

I'm just (hopefully) coming to the end of my doctorate where, like you, I conducted an ethnography and spent a year in 3 communities.

I think it depends on how closely linked your communities are.  If they form part of a single network with users interacting across all three spaces, then a single document would probably be best.  On the other hand, if you're essentially doing 3 ethnographic case studies in independent communities, then it's potentially a little different.

My study (on teacher communities) was more akin to the latter and I started using using three separate documents.  However, it became fairly irritating flicking between them and I was never quite sure where to put my more reflexive thoughts about the whole process.  Therefore I quickly started using just one document but had 4 colours within it - one colour for each community and one for general reflexive thoughts and emergent analysis.

I found this more user friendly and pretty useful as it provided a more holistic narrative of the whole research process, while easily allowing me to separate out the different communities if I wanted to for analysis.  It was a good way to keep track of my cross-community thoughts and helped with reflexive insight - ie it helped me see where some of my experiences in one community might potentially influencing the way I behaved in another.

I don't know if it's best practice but I found the single-document-multiple-colours approach really helpful.

Good luck with your fieldwork

Thanks
James